The Cornell University CEA Program is actively conducting leading research for aspects of commercial-scale vegetable crop production. Current research is focused on the various aspects of CEA crop production for lettuce, spinach, and tomato. Projects include:
- Developing computer models to predict impending crop damage or failure
- Evaluating marketing strategies and developing value-added products grown in a controlled environment
- Investigating hydroponic crop production for life support in space flight environments
- Improving the nutritional value of crops for humans
- Developing environmentally-friendly biological controls of insect and disease pests.
- Thinking about the environmental and practical implications of vertical farming and urban agriculture.